Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Any Time Key Lime Pie

My most favorite food is key lime pie. I was introduced to key lime pie when I was around 10 years old and I've been hooked ever since. I love the tangy and creamy filling in contrast to the sweet and crunchy graham cracker crust. A few days ago a friend of mine shared a vegan key lime pie recipe and I just had to try it. I was hopeful, but skeptical. And let's face it; you replace egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk with tofu, it is not going to be the same. However, it's still good and is a much healthier way to satisfy my key lime pie cravings. I will definitely make this again.

Crust
  • 2 cups crushed graham crackers
  • 3 tablespoons melted Earth balance
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Mix everything together and press into greased pie dish.
  2. Baked for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely before making filling.
Filling
  • 24 oz silken tofu
  • 1 lb key limes, juiced
  • zest of 4 key limes
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (this really helps cut the tofu taste)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  1.  Put all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
  2. Pour into pie crust and place in freezer for 2 hours or until pie is set. Serve frozen, but defrost slightly if too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment