Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cinnamon Toast Rolls



I loved cinnamon toast when I was a kid. I would butter the bread and sprinkle it with cinnamon-sugar, and then my mom would toast it up in the oven for me. These cinnamon toast rolls are the same thing I loved as a kid, but it a new package... and with icing! The sugar actually caramelizes in to a chewy glaze hidden in the folds of the crispy toast. I'm going wine tasting with some friends in Los Olivos today and decided to whip these up so we'd have a snack for the 45 minute drive.

Ingredients:

  • 24 slices of white bread, crust removed
  • 4 tablespoons Earth Balance or margarine, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups cinnamon-sugar
  • 1/2 cup cinnamon icing: powdered sugar moistened with water and flavored with cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Using a rolling pin, flatten a slice of bread. For each side, brush with Earth Balance and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar. Fold 2 sides into the middle and fold in half again. Roll up and place inside a mini-muffin pan. Repeat for each slice of bread.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes. 
  4. Let cool before icing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment