Friday, August 12, 2011

More Salsa!

Fiesta may be over, but I've still got salsa on my mind! As a follow up to my previous post of a black beans salsa, I wanted to share a couple more of my favorite salsa recipes.

This first one was my creation for last year's salsa contest where I won for the best salsa verde (but I had the only green salsa so that really doesn't say much, does it?). It's called "La Bomba Verde" and it's a thin sauce which you can use as a dip or to top food.


Ingredients:
  • 1 onion
  • 3 jalapenos (you can use less if you want it more mild)
  • 1 bulb of garlic
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cans tomatillos
  • salt to taste
  • sugar to taste
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  1. Chop the onion, jalapenos, and garlic. They don't have to be very small as the salsa will eventually be blended. Then sweat them in some olive oil. 
  2. Add 2 cans of tomatillos, salt, a dash of sugar, vinegar, and 1 cup of water. 
  3. Let simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours. Add more water as the salsa thickens.
  4. Roughly chop the cilantro and add to salsa. Puree with an immersion blender. Add more salt if necessary, but go light. 
  5. Serve over food or refrigerate and use as a salsa dip.
The other salsa I want to share is one that a coworker made: a black bean and corn salsa. This salsa tastes fresh despite being made up of mostly canned food, and is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. This recipe is from Trader Joe's and uses their delicious Corn and Chili Salsa which you may want to stock up on in case they ever stop making it. If  that tragedy ever happens, I suppose you could substitute regular corn and this salsa would still be great. 




Ingredients:
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 jar Trader Joe's Corn and Chili Salsa
  • 1 red onion, finely diced
  • 1 garlic clove, finely diced
  • 1 jalapeno, finely diced
  • 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
  • juice of 1 lime
  • salt to taste
  1. Combine ingredients in a large bowl and season. 
  2. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Although I eat a lot of vegn food, I am mainly a vegetarian and have to say that your salsa recipes have got me excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, shaheen! if you try any of them, please tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete